Wednesday, December 19, 2018

In My Weakness

This week I tried something.
This week I walked into a situation that sent me into a place mentally that is hard to put into words.
I am the kind of person that tries to find something I have learned through any situation, this one sent me spinning.
While growing up I learned the importances in knowing your limits; when it is good to go 100% into something and when to hold back.
This week I made the decision to put myself in a situation where I was surrounded by well over 100 young people who spoke only Portuguese/changana, that literally the little I was familiar with was changed dramatically.
Imagine yourself standing in the sand, hundreds of teens running around, many talking to you really quickly in a language you've been studying only for 4 months and they expect you to know what to do with the instructions they're giving you... Imagine standing in a circle with all of these people, playing a game that solely depended on knowing the words coming from the MC, resulting in you losing the game. every. single. time. Only because you didn't know the words for "touch your ear" in a split second. There were so many more moments that kept happening like these..

To clarify I do not blame anyone. If anything I should blame myself. But I had to try.

This is just a picture to give you while I try to explain some things about my new life currently.

Most day's are good! There are days that I feel on top of the world because I know I was able to share the love of Christ with others.
But this is me, showing you a reality that missionaries face on a daily basis.
Every single day we are each combating much more than most realize.
We are fighting spiritually with the darkness that the devil cast on so many people as we try with everything we have to share the name of Jesus.
We are fighting against comfort zones. The things that we are "used to" that we give up joyfully but still not easy.
We are fighting against so many other things but what I have faced this week alone were those and 2 more....
FAILURE & GUILT.
There came a point in that situation when I couldn't handle it anymore.
I ended up melting down in front of all the people surrounding me. In that moment I had no control over my reaction. In that moment I honestly thought I failed.
I stood in front of what felt like the world feeling like a failure in not being able to succeed at what seemed like even the simplest of things.
In that moment I knew I needed to leave, but I couldn't. So for the rest of that day, that night and the next day I was in a constant state of misery, living in a cloud of confusion even with the sweet people who tried to help.
Why did I stay?
Guilt.
Because I knew this shouldn't be as hard as my experience. I felt like I was "giving up" because I didn't have anything else to give, but I thought I needed to keep going because I was guilty of my weakness.
I am sure this sounds like such a big deal for a small event. But this is my current state of mind. "Desculpa" (I am sorry.) I just want to be completely transparent.
I don't want to be someone who has something to say but never does because the opinions of others, especially if it means other people will see how challenging life over-seas can be.
Again I am not saying it's like this all of the time but it's not a bed of roses either.
Something that most don't expect to hear from missionaries is the feeling of guilt and failure.
The feeling that you should have been able to have done something but couldn't do it. Following that is guilt when you face people with that failure. Most of the time I don't try to think about the thoughts of others, but I did this time.
Something that isn't talked about either is sometimes the hard comments you get. The comments from people you respect but people who don't truly know you. This time comment's like "you're choosing to give up" or " you needed to persevere" but if only they knew how hard I tried.
Even right now I am hurting for my parents who get comments from our own brother's and sister's in Christ that do pierce the heart but will never be told.
These are things that are experienced that are not shared but I know there is power in my vulnerability. I believe that through this, through my feelings of failure and guilt, if you're reading this and relate to my feelings that you are not alone. God doesn't need our strength, but needs our weakness not for us but for HIS glory. 2 Corinthians 2:9 plainly says; 
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." 




6 comments:

  1. Dear Felecia, Larry and I have been so impressed at all the things you are doing, even though you are still learning the language and adapting to a totally new environment. You have so many gifts and talents and you are willing to use them. Even though your language learning is still in the beginning stages, you are willing to go out and use the words you do know. You aren't stuck inside your house, waiting until you know more words. We admire that in you and your family. You were so willing to come and take on all those crazy CAM kids and direct them for the Christmas program. Wow! What a blessing for me, the kids and their families. Yes, you will face many challenges, and that is when God will show you His power and grace that is sufficient for YOU and what ever circumstances you are in. You are an amazing part of our missionary team. I hope you know you are loved and appreciated very much. May God lift you up and encourage you today and in the days and weeks ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I used that same verse and others with the pastors and CAM. God is not just using you DESPITE your weakness, He is using you BECAUSE of your weaknesses. I used all those listed in Hebrews chapter 11 - though commended as leaders of the faith they are all so broken and weak looking at their stores. God in His glory does wonderful and small deeds through them. Language is hard. Connection is hard. Walk with Him in the low and highs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this posting. And sharing your difficulties

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learning to sit for hours unable to communicate was part of the experience in my time as well. I spent a lot of time listening for what God was saying to me because there really was no choice. I pray patience for you and the family. The work you're taking on is more in the field than mine was on campus. But the work is a long haul position of developing relationships. Give yourself some recovery time and then climb back in the saddle. You'll be Great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. Word. Felicia Snowden!!! What a godly young woman you are! You are 1/3 of my age and yet your message ministered to some deep places in my heart! You know what the most powerful part was ..... your transparency. Sweetie, God is using you when you don’t even know it. I hate to say it, and it probably doesn’t sound very nice, but we are so dumb sometimes in America! We base everything in life around our comfort. Our nation has been so blessed by the Lord that comfort is all the current generations know. -And yet God rarely values ‘comfort’ as something worth going after. I’ve been reading in Nehemiah and Ezra - God called them to do a job - go back to Jerusalem and rebuild the temple and the walls. ....a Great calling ...but there was Nothing Comfortable about the calling. I know God sent you all there (Captain Obvious here). I know you all spent YEARS praying, preparing, dreaming of, and building your passion to share the Lord with the people of Mozambique- so now you’re there - and all that movement and pushing forward in the states probably feels like it’s come to a screeching halt! I’m sure it almost feels like your starting back at ‘square one’ with having to learn a brand new language. Think about this....God made humans to come into this world as a baby- they don’t “give” anything or “do” anything “productive” for years! ...And yet God, on purpose, made us all start that way. We adults don’t expect a baby to “contribute” - and yet we love and adore them - in every stage of growth.

    You, sweet Felicia (& all your wonderful family), are right where God wants you. And you said it beautifully, “God doesn’t need our strength but needs our weaknesses, [b/c it’s not about us], but for His glory “ 2 Cor 12:9. And you, my dear, give Him so much glory through your life!

    Keep up the Great Work Felicia, you’re right on track!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly! Your words touched my heart and soul greatly also. You have such a loving spirit and bless so many people with your honest sharing, no matter whether those reading are older or younger! Thank you, Felicia, for sharing with all of us, from your precious heart! You & your family remain in my heart and prayers and I am very blessed and thankful to have this opportunity to get to know you and learn about the mission work you do and the people there. Your life is a blessing to me and to so many others. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. May God's blessings always fill your life, and your needs always be met; and may many lives there be greatly touched and changed by your family and all others on your team! In the name of Jesus, I lift up these prayers. You and your family are loved much! Always know that! 💖

      Delete

Search This Blog

BOOKS I'M READING

  • Unbroken (Story of Louis Zamperini)
  • Ben Carson Story
  • Jesus Freaks
  • Life Without Limbs
  • Frank Peretti
  • Van Trapp Family Singers
  • Presence of mine Enemy
  • The Bible
  • God Calling

Music I love!

  • For King and Country
  • Jesus Coulture
  • Lauren Daigle
  • Needtobreathe
  • Citizen Way
  • Jeremy Camp
  • Chris Tomlin
  • Moriah Peters
  • Rend Collective
  • Piano Guys
  • Natalie Grant
  • Jamie Grace
  • Lindsey Stirling
  • Bing Crosby
  • 40's hits!